Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Skin Cancer

...an email I sent out last week...

"I just wanted to write and ask for prayer. I got a call from my dermatologist tonight and found out I have Melanoma (she finally got the pathology results back from my biopsy from 2 weeks ago). The good news is that it isn't very deep and they think they can remove it surgically (w/o chemotherapy) and that everything will be fine. There is a 96% disease-free survival rate. My dermatologist is going to call around tomorrow and see if she can get me in to see an oncologist at OSU immediately, and then hopefully schedule my surgery soon after. I'm not worried, God is in control. But I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask the people who care about me to say a little prayer.
Also, pray for Shawn and my mom. I think it's hard for Shawn knowing so much about it with risk factors and statistics, it sort of hit him hard (I'm comforting him!). And my mom, well, it's my mom. She's worried like any mom would be. But I know God will take care of me! Thanks everyone and I'll keep you updated."

...Today (12/2) we met with an oncologist and didn't really learn anything new. However, the doctor was very encouraging and didn't forsee there being any issues after I have surgery. We'll just have to keep a close eye on everything and get checked every 1-3 months. I did have blood work (to check my LDH levels) and a chest x-ray done, so we'll see what comes of those. I'm sure they are fine. I have an appointment with the surgeon on the 17th and hopefully surgery soon after that - I'm hoping before Christmas. We'll see, it's all in God's hands. :)

2 comments:

Our Story said...

Hey, I came across your blog today and my wife and I will add you and your family to our prayers.

Melissa said...

Oh my gosh Gina!! I'm so glad it was caught early. Please keep us updated on the results! Love you!!