Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Colorado!


















Shawn had a week off from school so we decided it was time to go visit Aaron & Michelle in Colorado Springs :) We seriously had THE best time. We flew in to Denver on Saturday and wandered around, trying to find the University of Colorado Medical Center. Instead, we found Mexico (or a street named "Mexico") and huge guys playing Rugby in a field. So we decided to drive back to Colorado Springs and go back to Denver when we actually knew where we were going. Uncle Wyman & Aunt Mary had us all over for dinner that night for some of the best food we've ever had.
The next day we went to church (where Aaron is the worship and youth pastor and Michelle's dad is the head pastor) and then out to lunch with Mary & Wyman at this cute deli that served amazing food (I had a shrimp salad sandwich - didn't even know those existed). That night we hung out with Michelle (and baby Joey) while Aaron was at the church with the youth group. We ordered NYPD pizza and I'll forever remember that as the day that Michelle got me addicted to Pepperoni and Feta cheese pizza. I was then forced to watch Twilight, completely against my will. I didn't want it to ruin the books so I swore I'd never watch it. But I must love Michelle because I did anyway. :)
On Monday, I made us fresh strawberry & banana crepes and then we went to Starbucks to just hang out for a bit. It turned out to be a movie weekend because they have an awesome theater in their basement. So we watched Fight Club because I'd never seen it before (for good reason it turns out). We then went through the Garden of the Gods and saw the tree we had planted 12 years ago in memory of my dad in Manitou Springs (where we also saw a few random deer wandering around) and then Michelle made us an awesome dinner. Michelle and I watched HSM3 and preceded to eat way too many brownies while the boys got out all of their competitive energy and whooped each other at foose ball, pool and Smash Brothers on the Wii.
On Tuesday we woke up (with our favorites from Starbucks waiting for us, thanks to super sweet Michelle!) and went to the Omelette Parlor which had, hands down, the best french toast. Of all time. Michelle and I went shopping while the boys continued to compete in their silly games and then we headed off to Denver for the evening. We found the Medical Center and walked through it - it's really nice. Hopefully Shawn will get a residency interview there this fall :) After that we went to eat at Casa Bonita, a restaurant I ate at as a kid, but could only remember something about a well with scary faces that look back at you. Looking back, I'm not sure how that's all I remember because if you didn't know about the well, you would have missed it. The place was crazy! The food was terrible (as we were told ahead of time) but while you eat your are literally sitting in a rain forest with a waterfall and a live show taking place in front of you. Then you can walk around and go through mines, caves, arcades, etc. It's like a mini Disneyland (but more sad sack). I have to hand it to them though, they serve some mean sopapillas.
The next day the boys played around a little more while Michelle and I went shopping and got Jamba Juice for the second time in two days. Then it was time to head back to Denver to catch our flight home. We were super sad to leave. It was the perfect vacation and I owe it all to Aaron and Michelle for being the best hosts! We love you guys.

No comments: